Alaska Passport Offices – How to Find Alaskan Passport Offices

Is it time to get a passport? No need to worry. In Alaska, there are many options to get a passport. Passport processing facilities are usually in post offices. Other services are in courthouse building and county clerk offices. Most offices suggest scheduling an appointment before stopping by. Also, go to their website to see their operating hours. Like other establishments, these buildings are not open on Federal holidays.

When you apply for a passport, it can take any time between 4-6 weeks before you get it in the mail. However, there are passport agencies or expediting services that decrease the processing time. These services will cost more than the average process fee. Below is a list some cities and counties passport facilities.

 Alaska Passport Offices

Location Address City State Zip Phone
Cooper Landing 38741 Snug Harbor  Rd Cooper Landing AK 99572 (907) 595-1234
Downtown Station 344W 3rd Ave Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 279-4016
Eagle River 11471 Business Blvd Eagle River AK 99577 (907) 694-2732
Girdwood 118 Lindblad Ave Anchorage AK 99587 (907) 783-2922
Kenai 140 Bidarka St Kenai AK 99611 (907) 283-7771
Palmer       500 S Cobb St Palmer AK 99645 (907) 745-5051
Wasilla 401 N Main St Wasilla AK 99654 (907) 376-5327
Willow 13232 N McKinley Way Willow AK 99688 (907) 495-6266

Check with an expeditor if you need a passport in shorter processing time.

Passport Expediting Services in Alaska

Unlike the standard process time, expediting services can cut the processing time in half. One way of doing so is an expeditor submits all the documents on behalf of the applicant. Because of their connection to the process, the application processing is faster than the average time.  In addition to decreasing a passport processing time, an expeditor can also help with getting an emergency passport.

How to get an Emergency passport?

First, you must show proof of travel. Proof of travel can be having a flight ticket or itinerary showing the date of travel. Second, the trip must be in 2 weeks or less. Third, proof of life or death emergency in the family must be shown. Evidence of life or death emergency can be illness, injuries, or death of a family member. For any of these reasons, an applicant can get a passport in as little as 24 hours. Keep in mind that this service will cost an additional fee.

Getting an emergency passport is one of many services an agency can help with getting a passport. The agency can also help with getting a passport for the first time, renewing an expired passport, getting a minor’s passport, replacing a lost passport, and changing your name on your passport.

So, to use an expediting service, call the National Passport Center hotline toll free number at (877) 487-2778 to get in contact with your nearest agency. Currently, there is no passport agency in Alaska, but the nearest one is in Seattle, Washington. The agency is information below.

Seattle Passport Agency
Fifth and Yesler Building
300 5th Ave., Suite 600, Seattle, WA 98104

8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

REAL ID Act of 2005

In 2005, Congress passed a bill into law called the REAL ID Act. The purpose of this bill is so that all states must have a standard form of identification. On all state-issued identification, the following information must be present:

  • Full legal name
  • Residential address
  • Birthdate
  • Gender
  • Driver’s license or identification card number
  • Digital front-facing photograph
  • Signature

How does the REAL ID Act affect flying?

Residents of states that are compliant with the law may have little to no effect when traveling domestically by air. Therefore, they can continue to use their licenses or state-issued id at airports.

Currently, Alaska has the extension for the REAL ID Act until January 22, 2018. When the extension expires, and Alaska is not compliant, residents of the state cannot fly within the United States if they choose to use their driver’s licenses or state id.

To prevent any issues at the airport, apply for an alternative identification document that is acceptable by the REAL ID Act. Some alternative identification documents are:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card

One of many advantages of owning one of these documents is that the document can be used to travel domestically, as well as internationally. So, it would be best to have one to help reduce the chance of having any difficulty when you decide to travel by air.


Please see below a list of passport processing facilities in and around your county.

Alaska Passport Offices - How to Find Alaskan Passport Offices Passport Locations