California Passport Offices – Where to Get a Passport in California?

Do you live in California and needs a passport to travel abroad? Read this article to find out where you can go and apply for a passport. Only a US citizen can apply for a US passport.

Most people are aware that post offices can accept their passport application. However, post offices are not the only site that can do so. You can submit your application form at a courthouse or county clerk’s office. Some libraries are also designated acceptance location.

If you choose to use any of these facilities, the processing time usually takes 4-6 weeks after submitting your application for you to receive your new passport in the mail. Some locations require an appointment before going. Call before going just to make sure if one is necessary. In addition to regular processing services, some post offices also offer expedited services. With this service, the processing time is cut in half. To use this service, you must pay additional fees.

Here are some acceptance locations in California. A more detailed list is at the end of this article. Sometimes to get a passport you will need to provide a drivers license you would be able to find more information for California DMV here

Some California Passport Offices

Facility Address City Phone
Anaheim-Main Post Office 701 N Loara St., Anaheim, CA 92803 Anaheim (714) 520-2639
Anaheim City Clerk’s Office 200 S Anaheim Blvd, Anaheim, CA 92805 Anaheim (714) 765-4540
Berkeley Post Office 2000 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94704 Berkeley (510) 649-6765
Bicentennial Station Post Office 200 S Barrington Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90048 Los Angeles (323) 933-1864
Airport Post Office 8495 Pardee Dr., Oakland, CA 94614 Oakland (510) 251-3105
Excelsior Station Post Office 15 Onondaga Ave., San Francisco, CA 94112 San Francisco (415) 334-1057
Orange County Clerk’s Office 211 W Santa Ana Blvd., Santa Ana, CA 92701 Santa Ana (714) 834-2500

 Expediting Services in California

Other businesses offer to expedite services as well. Some are privately owned while others are agencies located in Federal buildings. Regardless of who you choose, the services are the same. For example, expediting services submit all the documents on your behalf. These materials are processed fast if there are no issues with them, and you can get your new passport in 2-3 weeks after submitting the applications.

An expediting company or an agency can provide another service in case of an emergency. That is, they can get you a passport in as little as 24 hours. To get a passport in such a short time, you must provide proof that you have an emergency. An emergency can be a family member is in another country sick, was in an accident, or died. Documentations of such occurrences would be enough proof. Other proofs can make a flight itinerary from a valid airline with a date of departure. Your departure must be at least 24-72 hours.

To find an expeditor or agency, call the National Passport Center hotline toll free number at (877) 487-2778 to speak with an agent. Appointments are necessary and must be kept. In the state of California, three agencies can provide these services to you. Here are their locations:

Los Angeles Passport Agency
West L.A. Federal Building
11000 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1000, Los Angeles, CA 90024-3602

7:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

San Diego Passport Agency
1 Columbia Place
401 West A St, 10th Floor, San Diego, CA 92101

8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

San Francisco Passport Agency
95 Hawthorne Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105-3901

7:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
9:30 am to 4:00 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays


In 2005, Congress passed a bill that established a minimum security standard for all state-issued identification cards. All the states and US territories were given a deadline to implement the changes. Some have met the deadline while others got extensions.

Is your state complaint with the REAL ID Act? California, like other states, got the extension. This extension expires on January 22. 2018. Up to that date, Californians can travel by air using a California driver’s license or state-issued ID card. If the state becomes compliant after the January 22, then residents must apply for the new identification card. Without an extension or being compliant, you will not be able to use either id cards to travel by air.

What happens to residents of noncompliant states? If the state in which you live has the extension, you can continue to use your id cards to travel by air. Otherwise, you will get stopped by TSA at the airport if your id has not met DHS requirements.

What can I do to prevent this from happening to me? Other documents contain the minimum security standard set by DHS. Some of these documents are used to travel domestically, as well as internationally. Here is a list of a few of them:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card


Below you will find a list of passport processing facilities in and around your county.  Call before visiting one.

California Passport Offices - Where to Get a Passport in California? Passport Locations