California Passport Offices – Where to Get a Passport in California?

Applicants looking for a passport in California can find the majority of application acceptance facilities in your local post offices, City and County clerk offices, as well as some public libraries. Most of the acceptance facilities require you to schedule an appointment. Also, the hours in the passport offices may vary and may exclude Federal Holidays.

In the past few decades’, American citizens applying for a passport has increased significantly. To help meet the applicants’ passport needs, the U.S Postal Service has offered their services. However, many post-California passport offices require an appointment with their desired location and passport requirements specific to their particular type of service.

Processing Time

A passport processing time is routinely 4-6 weeks from the time the application was received.

Some California Passport Offices

Facility Address City Phone
Anaheim-Main Post Office 701 N Loara St.
Anaheim, CA 92803
Anaheim (714) 520-2639
Anaheim City Clerk’s Office 200 S Anaheim Blvd
Anaheim, CA 92805
Anaheim (714) 765-4540
Berkeley Post Office 2000 Allston Way
Berkeley, CA 94704
Berkeley (510) 649-6765
Bicentennial Station Post Office 200 S Barrington Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Los Angeles (323) 933-1864
Airport Post Office 8495 Pardee Dr.
Oakland, CA 94614
Oakland (510) 251-3105
Excelsior Station Post Office 15 Onondaga Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94112
San Francisco (415) 334-1057
Orange County Clerk’s Office 211 W Santa Ana Blvd.
Santa Ana, CA 92701
Santa Ana (714) 834-2500

Expediting Services in California

If you are in a rush and need a passport in less than four weeks, an expediting service can assist you with it. With an expediting service, the service can have the application process in as little as 2-3 weeks. If you need an emergency passport, this service can get you an emergency passport in 24 hours. In this case, you must provide documents to show proof of emergency.

Also, an expediting service agent can assist you in getting a passport for a minor. The agent could help you to renew an old passport and even if your passport was lost or stolen. Call the National Passport Center hotline toll free number at (877) 487-2778 to get in contact with your nearest agency. The closest passport agencies are listed below. Below is a list of some passport agencies in California:

Los Angeles Passport Agency
West L.A. Federal Building
11000 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1000, Los Angeles, CA 90024-3602

7:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

San Diego Passport Agency
1 Columbia Place
401 West A St, 10th Floor, San Diego, CA 92101

8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

San Francisco Passport Agency
95 Hawthorne Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105-3901

7:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
9:30 am to 4:00 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Passport Services Offered at Agencies

  • Passport Renewal
  • New Passports
  • Passport for Minors
  • Loss Passport Replacement
  • Passport Name Change


In 2005, the House of Representatives passed a bill into law called the REAL ID Act. The purpose of this bill is for all states to have a standard form of ID. Individually, the IDs must all display specific information on them. On each ID the following information must be present:

  • Full legal name
  • Residential address
  • Birthdate
  • Gender
  • Driver’s license or identification card number
  • Digital front-facing photograph
  • Signature

Some states already agreed to this new act while others are in disagreement to implement it. Recently, the new administration imposes this law on all states, and it must be in place by the end of 2017. Nevertheless, for citizens without the unique ID must provide a valid U.S. passport or permanent residency card as proof of identification. Therefore, people without a passport or residency card will not be allowed to board a plane. Also, people will not be allowed to go anywhere a valid ID is required. So, if you don’t have a passport or your passport expired, you should apply for one as soon as you can.

Currently, California has the extension for the Real ID Act until October 10, 2018. With this extension, individuals can continue to use their current state-issued identification. A state-issued identification can be a state id or a driver’s license which is both obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). These identifiers can also be used for domestic traveling only. After the extension is over everyone will need to get the new id containing all the new features.

To prevent any issues you may encounter at the airport, apply for an alternative identification document that is acceptable by the REAL ID Act. Some acceptable identification documents are:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card

One of many advantages of owning one of these documents is that the document can be used to travel domestically, as well as internationally. So, it would be best to have one to help reduce the chance of having any difficulty when you decide to travel by air.

 Word of advice: When completing any forms, please follow the directions attached to each type. If you don’t follow the instructions correctly, your application process will not continue on schedule.

Below you will find a list of passport processing facilities in and around your county. Click on the one nearest you to get the necessary information you will need.

California Passport Offices - Where to Get a Passport in California? Passport Locations