Connecticut Passport Offices – Where to Get a Passport in CT?

Is it time to get a new passport? Do your kids need one as well? If your answer is yes, then continue reading how you can proceed to get a new passport.

Passport offices are located in many different buildings across the state. You can find them in post offices, courthouses, county clerk’s offices, and in some libraries. These facilities accept a passport application. The processing is done elsewhere.

Some acceptance facilities require an appointment, so please call before coming. The processing time a passport application usually takes is 4-6 weeks. Expediting services are available at some of these sites. Again, call and ask before visiting one of these offices. Expediting processing can take 2-3 weeks. If you decide to use this process, it costs additional fees.

Here is a list of some acceptance facilities around the state of Connecticut:

Connecticut Passport Offices

Facility Address City Phone
Bloomfield Post Office 40 Jerome Avenue
Bloomfield, CT 06002
Bloomfield (860) 242-0727
Bridgeport Main Post Office 120 Middle Street
Bridgeport, CT 06602
Bridgeport (203) 332-5302
Cornwall Bridge Post Office 18A Kent Road
Cornwall Bridge, CT 06754
Cornwall Bridge (860) 672-6710
East Hartford Main Post Office 850 Main Street
East Hartford, CT 06108
East Hartford (860) 569-8633
Essex Library 33 West Avenue
Essex, CT 06426
Essex (860) 767-1560
Amity Post Office 1449 Whalley Avenue
New Haven, CT 06515
New Haven (203) 782-7256

Expediting Services in Connecticut

Some post offices may expedite your passport applications when you pay the extra fees. However, other businesses offer another expediting service. These are known as passport agencies. Not every state has a passport agency. To determine if one is in your state, call the National Passport Center hotline at (877) 487-2778 and speak with an agent. Most agencies are located in federal buildings; therefore, an appointment is necessary. The agent will assist you in setting up an interview.

Passport agencies offer to expedite services that can get you a passport in 24 hours. This service is only if an emergency exists. If you do need an emergency passport, you must show proof of your emergency. An emergency can be a family member is ill, was in an accident, or died. Additional evidence can include having an itinerary or a ticket from a reputable airline with a departure date.

Expediting services are only recommended if you or anyone in your family needs a passport in a shorter time than the usual processing time. It is not recommended if you are not in a rush to travel since the fees charged are higher compared to the standard processing time. Here are some passport agencies you can use to process a rush passport application:

Connecticut Passport Agency
850 Canal Street, Stamford, CT 06902

8:30 am to 3:30 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
10:30 am to 3:30 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Boston Passport Agency
Tip O’Neill Federal Building
10 Causeway St., Room 247, Boston, MA 02222

8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
10:30 am to 4:30 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Buffalo Passport Agency
111 Genesee St., Suite 101, Buffalo, NY 14203

9:00 am to 4:00 pm
8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays


The REAL ID Act, passed by Congress, is a bill for which all state-issued ID cards must have a minimum security standard. The bill also includes that federal agents, like TSA, should not accept these documents if they do not meet these minimum requirements.

How does the REAL ID Act affect traveling by air? States that are compliant with the law have changed their driver’s licenses and ID cards in accordance with the guides. With the new IDs, residents can travel by air using them without any issues. The State of Connecticut is compliant with the law.

How are noncompliant states affected by the REAL ID Act? Residents of noncompliant states may continue to use their IDs at airports up to January 22, 2018. After January 22, residents may not be able to use their IDs if the noncompliant states do not get another extension. If this may happen, you should choose another form of identification to use.

What are other traveling documents that can be used? TSA has a list of acceptable documents you can use as IDs to travel by air. Here is a list of some of the IDs:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card

It is recommended to get one of these IDs since all are used for identification purposes. Having more than one will not get you preferential treatment.

Below you will find a list of passport processing facilities in and around your county. You can visit anyone to start the process.

Connecticut Passport Offices - Where to Get a Passport in CT? Passport Locations