Connecticut Passport Offices – Where to Get a Passport in CT?

Are you trying to locate a passport acceptance facility in Connecticut? You can find passport offices in Connecticut at your local post offices, courthouse buildings, county clerk offices and other government appointed facilities. Take notice that many passport offices require you to schedule an appointment and have limited operating hours. A selection can be made by calling 1-877-487-2778.

For example, the Bethel Passport Office is located in the United States Post Office in the city of Bethel, Connecticut. The processing times in the Town of Bethel passport acceptance facility move slowly, and it may take up to 8 weeks to receive your passport. Be aware as you may need an appointment before visiting. A passport processing time is routinely 4-6 weeks from the time the application was received. Below is a list of some passport facilities in Connecticut.

Connecticut Passport Offices

Facility Address City Phone
Bloomfield Post Office 40 Jerome Avenue
Bloomfield, CT 06002
Bloomfield (860) 242-0727
Bridgeport Main Post Office 120 Middle Street
Bridgeport, CT 06602
Bridgeport (203) 332-5302
Cornwall Bridge Post Office 18A Kent Road
Cornwall Bridge, CT 06754
Cornwall Bridge (860) 672-6710
East Hartford Main Post Office 850 Main Street
East Hartford, CT 06108
East Hartford (860) 569-8633
Essex Library 33 West Avenue
Essex, CT 06426
Essex (860) 767-1560
Amity Post Office 1449 Whalley Avenue
New Haven, CT 06515
New Haven (203) 782-7256

Expediting Services in Connecticut

If you are in a rush and need a passport in less than four weeks, an expediting service can assist you with it. With an expediting service, the service can have the application process in as little as 2-3 weeks. If you need an emergency passport, this service can get you an emergency passport in 24 hours. In this case, you must provide documents to show proof of emergency. Keep in mind that this service will cost an additional fee.

Also, an expediting service agent can assist you in getting a passport for a minor. The agent could help you to renew an old passport and even if your passport was lost or stolen. Below is a list of some passport agencies in or near Connecticut:

Connecticut Passport Agency
850 Canal Street, Stamford, CT 06902

8:30 am to 3:30 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
10:30 am to 3:30 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Boston Passport Agency
Tip O’Neill Federal Building
10 Causeway St., Room 247, Boston, MA 02222

8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
10:30 am to 4:30 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Buffalo Passport Agency
111 Genesee St., Suite 101, Buffalo, NY 14203

9:00 am to 4:00 pm
8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Passport agencies can help with expediting a new passport application, passport renewal, passport for minors, lost passport replacement, and passport name change.


In 2005, the House of Representatives passed a bill into law called the REAL ID Act. The purpose of this bill is for all states to have a standard form of ID. Individually, the IDs must all display specific information on them. On each ID the following information must be present:

  • Full legal name
  • Residential address
  • Birthdate
  • Gender
  • Driver’s license or identification card number
  • Digital front-facing photograph
  • Signature

Some states already agreed to this new act while others are in disagreement to implement it. Recently, the new administration imposes this law on all states, and it must be in place by the end of 2017. Nevertheless, for citizens without the unique ID must provide a valid U.S. passport or permanent residency card as proof of identification. Therefore, people without a passport or residency card will not be allowed to board a plane. Also, people will not be allowed to go anywhere a valid ID is required. So, if you don’t have a passport or your passport expired, you should apply for one as soon as you can.

Currently, Connecticut is compliant with the Real ID Act. Therefore, individuals can continue to use their current state-issued identification. A state-issued identification can be a state id or a driver’s license which is both obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You can use your state-issued id to travel domestically but not internationally. So, if you don’t have a passport to travel abroad, apply for one at a passport acceptance facility or use an expeditor service agency.

To prevent any issues you may encounter at the airport, apply for an alternative identification document that is acceptable by the REAL ID Act. Some alternative identification documents are:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card

One of many advantages of owning one of these documents is that the document can be used to travel domestically, as well as internationally. So, it would be best to have one to help reduce the chance of having any difficulty when you decide to travel by air.

Word of advice: When completing any forms, please follow the directions attached to each type. If you don’t follow the instructions correctly, your application process will not continue on schedule.

Below you will find a list of passport processing facilities in and around your county. Click on the one nearest you to get the necessary information you will need.

Connecticut Passport Offices - Where to Get a Passport in CT? Passport Locations