Passport Offices in Washington DC- How to get a passport in Washington DC

Passport Offices are all over the state but the most common place you will find one is in the post office. Other locations are courthouses, county clerk’s offices, and some public libraries. The cost to submit your forms is the same for all the sites. Also, the processing time, 4-6 weeks, is the same as well. To start the process, submit your documents with all the necessary information and fee to an agent who then packaged it and send it to a processing center. Some locations require an appointment, so call before visiting. Also, these are closed on Federal Holidays so plan accordingly. Here are a few passport offices across the District of Columbia.

Some District of Columbia Passport Offices

Facility Address City Phone
USPS Ben Franklin Post Office 1200 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004 Washington (202) 523-2386
USPS Cleveland Park Post Office 3430 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20008 Washington (202) 364-0178
USPS National Capital Station 2 Massachusetts Ave., Washington, DC 20002 Washington (202) 523-2284
USPS Southwest Station 2 Massachusetts Ave., Washington, DC 20024 Washington (202) 523-2590

Expedited Passport Service

If you are in a rush and need a passport in less than four weeks, an expediting service can assist you with it. With an expediting service, the agency can have the application process in as little as 2-3 weeks. If you need an emergency passport, this service can get you an emergency passport in 24 hours. In this case, you must provide documents to show proof of emergency. Keep in mind that this service will cost an additional fee.

Also, an expediting agency can assist you in getting a passport for a minor. The agent could help you to renew an old passport and even if your passport was lost or stolen. Below is a list of some expedited passport agencies in and near District of Columbia. Call the National Passport Center hotline toll free number at (877) 487-2778 to get in contact with your nearest agency.

Washington Passport Agency
600 19th Street, N.W.,
First Floor, Ground Level, Washington, DC 20006

8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Philadelphia Passport Agency
U.S. Custom House
200 Chestnut St., Room 103, Philadelphia, PA 19106

8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

10:15 am to 3:00 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

New York Passport Agency
Greater New York Federal Building
376 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014

7:30 pm to 6:00 pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays


In 2005, the House of Representatives passed a bill into law called the REAL ID Act. The purpose of this bill is for all states to have a standard form of ID. Individually, the IDs must all display specific information on them. On each ID the following information must be present:

  • Full legal name
  • Residential address
  • Birthdate
  • Gender
  • Driver’s license or identification card number
  • Digital front-facing photograph
  • Signature

Some states already agreed to this new act while others are in disagreement to implement it. Recently, the new administration imposes this law on all states, and it must be put into place by the end of 2017. Nevertheless, for citizens without the unique ID must provide a valid U.S. passport or permanent residency card as proof of identification. Therefore, people without a passport or residency card will not be allowed to board a plane. Also, people will not be allowed to go anywhere a valid ID is required. So, if you don’t have a passport or your passport expired, you should apply for one as soon as you can.

Currently, the District of Columbia is compliant with the Real ID Act. Therefore, individuals can continue to use their current state-issued identification. A state-issued identification can be either a state id or a driver’s license which is both obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Individuals can also use their id to travel domestically. Primarily, if you are flying to another state and need to go through airport security, you must provide your id. If you plan to travel internationally, you will need a passport. You can get a passport by going to a passport acceptance facility or use an expediting service agency.

To prevent any issues you may encounter at the airport, apply for an alternative identification document that is acceptable by the REAL ID Act. Some alternative identification documents are:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card

One of many advantages of owning one of these documents is that the document can be used to travel domestically, as well as internationally. So, it would be best to have one to help reduce the chance of having any difficulty when you decide to travel by air.


Below you will find a list of passport processing facilities in and around your county. Click on the one nearest you to get the necessary information you will need.

Washington Acceptance Agents