Delaware Passport Offices – Where to Get a Passport in Delaware?

Are you a Delaware resident and in need of a passport? No need to worry. Passport acceptance facilities are all over the state. The place you are most likely to find one is in a post office. A post office agent is certified by the state department to accept passport applications. Other places that take applications are courthouses, county clerk’s offices, and libraries. To determine the location of a facility, at the end of this article is a detailed list of passport acceptance facilities in each county.

At the time of acceptance, the passport process takes about 4-6 weeks before you receive your new passport in the mail. That is if all the proper documents were submitted. Otherwise, the process may take longer. Some of these acceptance locations also off expediting services if you need a passport in a rush. The processing time for this service is half when comparing to 4-6 weeks. You must still submit all the necessary documents required for a new passport.

Below is a table containing the locations of some sites you can process your passport application. There are plenty more sites, but just a few of some main cities are shown.

Some Delaware Passport Offices

Facility Address City Phone
Dover Main Post Office 55 The Plaza
Dover, DE 19901
Dover (302) 734-5821
Georgetown Post Office 115 S King Street
Georgetown, DE 19947
Georgetown (302) 856-3647
Millsboro Post Office 100 Main Street
Millsboro, DE 19966
Millsboro (302) 934-9226
Federal Station Post Office 110 E Main Street
Newark, DE 19702
Newark (302) 368-3833
Greenville Branch Post Office 3801 Kennett Pike
Wilmington, DE 19807
Wilmington (302) 652-5449

Passport Expediting Services in Delaware

As previously mention, expediting services are available at post offices. However, other companies offer to expedite services as well. These companies, for example, passport agencies, can assist with getting an emergency passport.

How to get an emergency passport? An emergency suggests you need a passport in a rush to travel in 24-72 hours. In a crisis like this, an agent at a passport agency can help with that. First, you must prove that an emergency does exist. For example, there could be a sick family in another country, or they have involved an accident. Also, the emergency could be the passing of a family member that requires you to travel abroad immediately. Whatever the circumstances, you need to leave as soon as possible.

Once all the necessary proofs are provided, the process can commence providing the fees are paid. Passport agencies are not in all the states. You can contact the National Passport Center at (877) 487-2778. An agent will provide you with information on the nearest agencies. Most passport agencies are located in Federal Buildings; hence, you must make an appointment.

Here are some agencies in your immediate area:

Washington Passport Agency                                                                     
600 19th Street, N.W.,
First Floor, Sidewalk Level, Washington, DC 20006

8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Philadelphia Passport Agency
U.S. Custom House
200 Chestnut St., Room 103, Philadelphia, PA 19106

8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
10:15 am to 3:00 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

New York Passport Agency
Greater New York Federal Building
376 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10014

7:30 pm to 6:00 pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays


The REAL ID Act, passed by Congress, suggests all states must have minimum security standard for state-issued ID cards and driver’s licenses. The purpose of this bill is to prevent ID fraud. Sometime after the bill was passed, some states changed their ID cards as suggested. Those states are now compliant with the new law. Delaware is one of many states that are now compliant.

For the other states that are still in the process of implementing these security measures, they were given extensions. The extension is about to expire on January 22, 2018. After that, if not granted another extension, residents of these states cannot use a state-issued ID card or driver’s license as identification to travel by air. Another form of ID must be then used. Check on the TSA website to see if the state you reside is compliant or has an extension.

TSA has suggested alternative IDs you can use to travel. Go to TSA website to see the full list of these IDs. Here is a list of a few of them:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card

By October 1, 2020, all states and US territories should implement this law. If a state is not compliant, then their residents cannot tell us their driver’s license or ID card to board a plane. They must use one of the alternative IDs to travel.

See a more detailed list below with acceptance facilities in each county.

Delaware Passport Offices - Where to Get a Passport in Delaware? Passport Locations