Missouri Passport Offices – How to get a passport in Missouri

Are you looking for a passport office in Missouri? Look no further. Missouri Passport Offices are all over the state. The place you are more likely to find one is in a post office. Post office agents are certified by the State Department to accept passport applications and fees. The documents are packaged and sent to a processing site. Other acceptance facilities are courthouses, county clerk’s offices, and libraries. Whichever place you decide to go, call first before going because some require an appointment.

Apart from standard passport processing, which is usually 4-6 weeks, expedited service is available. With this service, you can have a new passport in half the time, 2-3 weeks. Of course, if you use this service it will cost more.

Here are some major cities passport acceptance facilities.

Missouri Passport Offices

Facility Address City Phone
Cape Girardeau Main Post Office 320 N Frederick St
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
Cape Girardeau (573) 335-3137
MU International Center 518 Hitt StmN52 Memorial Union
Columbia, MO 65211
Columbia (573) 882-6007
Hannibal Post Office 801 Broadway
Hannibal, MO 63401
Hannibal (573) 221-0957
Joplin Main Post Office 101 North Main St
Joplin, MO 64801
Joplin (417) 623-6176
Independence Main Postal Office 301 W Lexington Ave
Independence, MO 64050
Independence (816) 4125619
Springfield Post Office 500 W Chestnut Expy
Springfield, MO 65801
Springfield (417) 864-0117
St. Joseph Post Office 201 South 8th St
St. Joseph, MO 64501
St. Joseph (816) 364-3231

Expedited Service in Missouri

 Do you have an unexpected trip and now realize you need a new passport sooner than four weeks? No need to worry. For reasons like this, expedited service exists. With this service, you can get a new passport in about 2-3 weeks. To justify your need for your rush document, present your itinerary or ticket with the date of departure. Also, pay all the corresponding fees that are related to the application and expediting service.

If you have an emergency that requires you to leave the country as soon as possible, but you don’t have a passport, contact a passport agency. This agency has the authority of the State Department to provide a passport on short notice. You must show that an emergency exists and the time you must depart the country. In this case, an itinerary will demonstrate the urgency of your trip. It is best to call the National Passport Center at (877) 487-2778 to get an appointment. This interview will be at the nearest agency either in the state you live or one nearest you.

Passport agencies are in Federal Buildings, so without an appointment, you cannot get an interview. During Federal Holidays, these offices are closed. At this time Missouri does not have a passport agency, but the nearest agencies are in Arkansas and Illinois. Here are the addresses and operating hours.

Arkansas Passport Agency
191 Office Park Drive, Hot Springs, AR 71913

8:30 am to 3:00 pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Chicago Passport Agency
101 West Congress Parkway, 9th Floor, Chicago, IL 60605

8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday

10:00 am to 3:00 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

REAL ID Act of 2005

REAL ID Act passed by Congress established minimum security standards for state-issued ID cards and driver’s licenses.  By not implementing these security features, federal agencies, like TSA, are prohibited from accepting ID cards from noncompliant states. The effective date to comply was January 22, 2018. Noncompliant states were granted an extension until October 10, 2018. Missouri has the extension. By October 1, 2020, the entire US including its territories must comply with the law. If not, you must use an alternative document instead.

TSA, on its website, has a list of other documents that meet the security standards. Here is a list of some from the site:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card

If you already possess one, use it when you are at the airport. Otherwise, apply for one to prevent a disaster when you get to the airport.


See below for a more detailed list of passport acceptance facilities in counties across Missouri.

Missouri Passport Offices - How to get a passport in Missouri Passport Locations