Montana Passport Offices – How to get a passport in Montana

Montana Passport Offices will accept your application and submit it to a processing center. Every site has certified agents who will guide and provide information that will help you complete the process as comfortable as possible. You can go to post offices, courthouses, county clerk’s offices, and public libraries to submit your documents. Some of these facilities require an appointment, so please call before you visit one.

Standard passport processing takes 4-6 weeks; if you need one sooner, expedited service is available. This service has some stipulations that must qualify you for it. Later in this post, you will read a more in-depth explanation of expedited service.

Here is a list of acceptance facilities in some cities across Montana.

Montana Passport Offices

Facility Address City Phone
USPO – Billings 841 S 26th Street, Billings, MT 59101 Billings (406) 657-5728
Deer Lodge County Clerk of County 800 Main Street, Anaconda, MT 59711 Anaconda (406) 563-4040
USPO – Bozeman 2201 Baxter Lane, Bozeman, MT 59718 Bozeman (406) 586-1508
Cascade County Clerk of Court 415 2nd Ave North, RM 200A, Great Falls, MT 59401 Great Falls (406) 456-6780
USPO – Glendive 221 N Kendrick Avenue, Glendive, MT 59330 Glendive (406) 365-3373
Flathead County Clerk of District Court 920 South Main Suite 300, Kalispell, MT 59901 Kalispell (406) 758-5870

Expedited Service in Montana

A rush passport service, as most know it, is for anyone who is in need of a passport and cannot wait for four weeks to get one. Sometimes, we come across a great vacation deal we cannot let pass by; so what do we do? Yes, buy it. Now after purchasing the vacation package and start preparing for the trip, we now realize that our passport expired and the trip is in three weeks. This scenario is a perfect example of when to use an expeditor who can get a passport in 2-3 weeks. In other circumstances, like an emergency, a passport agency is the best option.

Passport agencies can have a passport in as little as 24 hours if you have an emergency that requires you to leave the country as soon as possible. They are the only agencies that are allowed to provide such document on short notice. To be able to get it that fast, you must provide documented proof of your crisis. For example, a family member was in a major accident, is very ill, or past away, and you must be present to make a critical decision.

Not every state has a passport agency. To find one, call the National Passport Center toll-free number at (877) 487-2778. At the same time, you will get an appointment for an interview. The appointment is necessary because the agency office is in a Federal Building. Please keep in mind that such building is closed on Federal Holidays. Montana does not have a passport agency, but there is one in Seattle. The address and business hours are below.

Seattle Passport Agency
Fifth and Yesler Building
300 5th Avenue, Suite 600, Seattle, WA 98104

8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

REAL ID Act of 2005

Congress, in 2005, established that all state-issued ID cards and driver’s licenses must have minimum security standards and grant federal agencies, like TSA, not to accept any ID cards without these security features. The law has not yet been fully implemented but will be by October 1, 2020. Some states are compliant already, and residents do not have any issue boarding their flights. Also, with the new ID cards, they can fly from any airport in the country.

Another document can replace any noncompliant ID cards. On TSA website there is a list of alternative ID cards or book you can use. Here is a list of some replacement documents:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card

If you already own one of these documents, you can use it at the airport as long as the document is still valid. If a passport is your choice to use, but you don’t have one, now is the time to apply for it. For an adult, this document is valid for ten years and five years for a minor.


See below for a more detailed list of acceptance facilities in Montana.

Montana Passport Offices - How to get a passport in Montana Passport Locations