New Hampshire Passport Offices – How to get a passport in New Hampshire

Is it time to get a passport for the first time or renew your old one? No need to worry. There are plenty of passport application acceptance facilities in New Hampshire. You can start by going to your nearest post office. Post office agents are certified by the State Department to accept forms and fees. The agent will then package your documents and send them to a processing center. Other locations that take applications are courthouses, county clerk’s offices, and some public libraries. Some sites require appointments, so please call before going to one.

A passport application regular processing time takes 4-6 weeks before receiving it in the mail. If you need a passport faster than the average processing time, check with an expediting service agency to help you get one sooner. To employ an agency will cost more than the post office and other sites. If you are in a rush and need it fast, then use an agency.

Below are some main cities post offices you may visit to start the process.

New Hampshire Passport Offices

Facility Address City Phone
Berlin Post Office 15 MT Forist St
Berlin, NH 03570
Berlin (603) 752-1700
Concord Post Office 18 Loudon Road
Concord, NH 03301
Concord (603) 225-0004
Dover Public Library 73 Locust Street
Dover, NH 03820
Dover (603) 516-6050
Hanover Post Office 50 South Main St
Hanover, NH 03755
Hanover (603) 643-5201
Keene Post Office 196 Main Street
Keene, NH 03431
Keene (603) 357-5610
Nashua Main Post Office 38 Spring Street
Nashua, NH 03060
Nashua (603) 882-7515

Expediting a passport application in New Hampshire

A passport process will take some time, but in some circumstances, you do not have time to wait. So, when you are in this situation, the best thing to do is hire an expeditor to speed the process. With an expeditor, just as a post office agent, you submit all the documents and fees to him/her. The expeditor uses overnight delivery and put a rush on the process. After all that is done, you will get your document in about 2-3 weeks. To qualify for this service, you must show proof of travel like a plane ticket or itinerary with a soon to be departure date.

There is another expediting option which is available to anyone who has an emergency and will need a passport in as little as 24 hours. To get a passport in this short time, you will need to contact a passport agency. Passport agencies, which are not in all state, are authorized to provide an emergency passport only if the applicant can provide proof. To locate an office, call the National Passport Center at (877) 487-2778 and get an appointment. An appointment is necessary since every agency has their office in a Federal Building.

Since not every state has a passport agency, below is a list of some and their hours of operation. Please follow the guides before going to a location; otherwise, you may lose your appointment.

National Passport Center
207 International Drive, Portsmouth, NH  03801

8:00am to 4:00pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Boston Passport Agency
Tip O’Neil Federal Building
10 Causeway Street, Room 247, Boston, MA 02222

8:00am to 4:00pm
Monday, Wednesday, Friday

10:30am to 4:30pm
Tuesday, Thursday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Vermont Passport Agency
50 South Main Street, St. Albans, VT 05478

8:00am to 3:00pm
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday

9:30am to 3:00pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Buffalo Passport Agency
111 Genesee Street, Suite 101, Buffalo, NY 14203

9:00am to 4:00pm

8:00am to 4:00pm
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

REAL ID Act of 2005

The REAL ID Act of 2005 will affect the way we fly domestically shortly. Residents of states that implemented the new law have already received ID cards with new security features. These features are what TSA agents look for on state-issued ID cards or driver’s licenses if used as identification to board a plane. Currently, noncompliant states have until October 10, 2018, to change ID cards; otherwise, ID cards will nor be accepted at airports by TSA. By October 1, 2020, the entire US, including its territories, state-issued ID cards, and driver’s licenses must meet the security standard. If not, a passport or another must be used instead.

TSA website has a list of alternative documents that may be used in place of the ID cards. Here are some IDs from the list:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card

If you have one of these documents, you can use it as identification to board your flight. Not having one will only stop you at the moment from traveling. The one document you should get, if you are a US citizen, is a passport. Having a passport will help solve two major problems. You can use it to travel domestically and internationally. So, the best thing to do is apply for a passport not and avoid being stopped by TSA at the airport.

New Hampshire Passport Offices - How to get a passport in New Hampshire Passport Locations