Texas Passport Offices – How to get a passport in Texas

Texas Passport Offices are in many different buildings. If you are ready to get a passport, you can go to your nearest post office and submit your application and pay the fee. Post office agents are certified by the State Department to collect and submit all documents to a processing center. The average processing time takes between 4 to 6 weeks, so plan according. If you need a passport sooner, ask an agent about expedited services. Some post offices offer that option.

Other locations in Texas that also accepts passport applications are courthouses, county clerk’s offices, and public libraries. The processing time for any of these sites is all the same. So, it doesn’t matter which you go to, the processing time will be the same. Below is a table with different passport offices across Texas. You can visit any to submit your application.

Texas Passport Offices

Facility     Address City Phone


Amarillo Main PO 2301 South Ross St, Amarillo, TX 79120 Amarillo (806) 468-2144
Austin General Mail Facility 8225 Cross Park Drive, Austin, TX 78710 Austin (512) 342-1259
Cameron County District Clerk 974 East Harrison St, Brownsville, TX 78520 Brownsville (956) 440-0838
Hector P. Garcia Main PO 809 Nueces Bay Blvd, Corpus Christi, TX 78469 Corpus Christi (361) 886-2238
Dallas Main Post Office Finance Unit 401 W. DFW Turnpike, Dallas, TX 75260 Dallas (844) 661-8730
Dorris Van Doren Regional Public Library 551 East Redd Road, El Paso, TX 79912 El Paso (915) 875-0700
Downtown Station 251 W. Lancaster, Fort Worth, TX 76102 Fort Worth (817) 870-8112
Galveston MPO 601 25th, Galveston, TX 77550 Galveston (409) 763-0036
Houston Public Library – Central 500 McKinney St, Houston, TX 77002 Houston (832) 393-1313
Frank Tejeda Station 7411 Barlite Blvd, San Antonio, TX 78224 San Antonio (210) 923-0941
Waco Downtown Station 424 Clay Ave, Waco, TX 76706 Waco (254) 754-4189

Expedited Services in Texas

Expediting your passport application can be done if you need a passport in a rush. To use this option, proof of travel must be provided and show a time of departure sooner than four weeks. In this case, an expeditor will submit all the documents and fees to the processing center. A rush on the application will get the document faster. Keep in mind that this service costs more than the normal or standard processing time.

Needing a passport in an emergency can be done by using a passport agency. Passport agencies have the authority to provide a passport in as little as 24 hours. But to get one, proof of emergency must be display with documents as evidence. To get an appointment with an agency, call the National Passport Center at (877) 487-2778. You will get one at the nearest agency. Not every state has an agency, so you may need to go to another. However, Texas has three agencies across the state. Here are the locations and business hours:

El Paso Passport Agency
Anson Mills Building
303 N Oregon Street, El Paso, TX 79901

7:30 am to 3:00 pm
Monday through Friday

Link Here

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Dallas Passport Agency
Earie Cabell Federal Building
1100 Commerce Street, Suite 1120, Dallas, TX 75242

8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday through Thursday

9:00 am to 3:00 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Link Here

Houston Passport Agency
George Thomas “Mickey” Leland Federal Building
1919 Smith Street, 4th Floor, Houston, TX 77002

7:30 am to 3:00 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday

10:00 am to 3:00 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Link Here

REAL ID Act of 2005

The REAL ID Act will change the type of identification we use at airports. Currently, you can use a state-issued ID card or a driver’s license as identification to board a flight. Soon, TSA agents will not accept them if certain security features are not embedded in them. Congress made this into law and now all states must change their ID cards. On the TSA website are other documents with these security features already on them. Here are some documents from the list:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card

If you possess one or more of these documents, you will need only one when you go to the airport. If you don’t, a passport would be the better choice to get. With a passport, you will be able to travel, without problems, domestically, as well as internationally. So, if you don’t have a valid passport, visit your nearest passport office and submit your application. In no time you will have a new document to travel with.



Below you will find a list of passport processing facilities in and around your county. Click on the one nearest you to get the necessary information you will need.

Texas Passport Offices - How to get a passport in Texas Passport Locations