Wisconsin Passport Offices – How to get a passport in Wisconsin

Wisconsin Passport Offices can be found in a variety of buildings across the state. The most convenient place you will find one is in a post office. Post offices have certified agents who will accept your forms and fees. They will then package your documents and mailed them to a processing center. The processing time is about 4-6 weeks, so plan accordingly. Some sites offer expedited service, ask before going. Also, some may require an appointment, again call before showing up.

Other sites that will accept your application are courthouses, county clerk’s offices, and public libraries. The processing time for these sites is the same as the post office. Visit anyone to start the process. Below is a table with some passport offices in cities across Wisconsin.

Wisconsin Passport Offices

Facility Address City Phone
Green Bay Main PO 300 Packerland Drive, Green Bay, WI 54303 Green Bay (920) 498-3895
Brown County Clerk Green Bay WI 305 East Walnut Street, Green Bay, WI 54301 Green Bay (920) 448-4016
Eau Claire Main PO 225 East Madison Street, Eau Claire, WI 54703 Eau Claire (715) 830-5300
Lacrosse WI PO 425 State Street, Lacrosse, WI 54601 Lacrosse (608) 791-8150
Madison PO 3902 Milwaukee Street, Madison, WI 53714 Madison (608) 246-1228
Marinette PO 2016 Maple Avenue, Marinette, WI 54143 Marinette (715) 735-7342
Dunn County Clerk of Court 615 Stokke Parkway, Menomonie, WI 54751 Menomonie (715) 232-2611
Milwaukee Main PO 345 w. St Paul Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53203 Milwaukee (414) 270-2308
Oshkosh Main PO 1025 W. 20th Avenue, Oshkosh, WI 54902 Oshkosh (920) 236-0627
West Racine Station PO 1300 Perry Avenue, Racine, WI 53406 Racine (262) 632-1162
Superior Main PO 805 Belknap Street, Superior, WI 54880 Superior (715) 394-7209
Marathon County Public Library 300 North First Street, Wausau, WI 54404 Wausau (715) 261-7240
Wausau WI PO 235 Forest Street, Wausau, WI 54403 Wausau (715) 261-4231

Expedited Passport Services

Getting your application expedited can be done by either an expeditor or a passport agency. Either way, you must provide proof of the rush process. With an expeditor, you submit the information, and it is then submitted to the processing center. The expeditor puts a rush on the application, and it allows you to get your document in about 2-3 weeks.

On the other hand, a passport agency can get a passport within 24 hours for emergency purposes. To get an appointment with an agency, you must first call the National Passport Center at (877) 487-2778. You will get the interview at the nearest agency if one is not in the state you reside. It is essential that you attend alone since most agencies are in Federal Buildings. Security is usually high and will not permit anyone without an appointment inside.

Currently, Wisconsin does not have a passport agency. The nearest ones are in Minneapolis and Chicago. Below are the locations and business hours for both.

Minneapolis Passport Agency
The “Old” Federal Building
212 3rd Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55401

8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

9:00 am to 3:00 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Chicago Passport Agency
Kluczynski Federal Building
230 S. Dearborn Street, 18th Floor, Chicago, IL 60604

8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday

10:00 am to 3:00 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays


In 2005, the House of Representatives passed a bill into law called the REAL ID Act. The purpose of this bill is for all states to have a standard form of ID. ID cards such as state-issued card and driver’s license are affected by this law, and the new features should be in place. With these security features, TSA agents at the airport will not allow the holder to board his or her flight. The law is not fully implemented, so as of now these ID cards are accepted but will not be. At the moment, TSA has some alternative documents on its website. Here are some of them on the list:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card

Having one when prevent being stopped by an agent. If you don’t have any from the list, the best to get would be a passport. With a passport, you can use to travel domestic, as well as international. So, apply for one and prevent the hassle.

Below you will find a more detailed list of passport offices across the state of Wisconsin.

Wisconsin Passport Offices - How to get a passport in Wisconsin Passport Locations