West Virginia Passport Offices – How to get a passport in W. Virginia

West Virginia Passport Offices are located in buildings all across the state. The most convenient location is in the post office. At the post office, you will find certified agents who will accept your application and fee for processing. But before you visit one of these facilities, call before since some may require an appointment. Also, these venues are closed on Federal Holidays, so plan accordingly.

Other locations that also accept passport applications are courthouses, county clerk’s offices, and libraries. At each of these sites, the fees and processing time are the same. So, it does not matter where you submit your application. The average processing time is 4-6 weeks after you submit your application. If you need a passport sooner than four weeks, ask about expedited services. Some locations may offer this service.

Below are some passport offices across West Virginia. You can visit anyone to start the passport process.

West Virginia Passport Offices

Facility Address City Phone
Beckley PO 134 Industrial Drive, Beckley, WV 25801 Beckley (304) 252-5336
Harrison County Circuit Clerk 301 W Main Street, Clarksburg, WV 26301 Clarksburg (304) 624-8640
Charleston Main PO 1002 Lee St, East, Charleston, WV 25301 Charleston (304) 561-1012
Elkins PO 300 Third Street, Elkins, WV 26241 Elkins (304) 636-1545
Harpers Ferry PO 1010 Washington Street, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425 Harpers Ferry (304) 535-2479
Logan County Circuit Court Clerk 311 Stratton Street, Logan, WV 25601 Logan (304) 792-8550
Simmons Station PO 1050 Market Street, Parkersburg, WV 26101 Parkersburg (304) 485-8009
Wheeling Post Office Downtown Station 2501 Chapline Street, Wheeling, WV 26003 Wheeling (304) 232-4850

Expedited Passport Services

Expediting your passport application will guarantee to get a new passport sooner than four weeks. But to use an expedited service, you must provide proof of travel and pay an extra fee. With this service, an expeditor submits all the necessary documents and pay the fees to get the process rush. By doing all this, you will get your new document in 2-3 weeks.

In case of an emergency and you need a passport sooner than two weeks, a passport agency can get you one in as little as 24 hours. To get an appointment, call the National Passport Center at (877) 487-2778. The operator will give you one at the nearest agency if one is not in the state you reside. At your interview, you must provide proof of your emergency to get approval. Also, you must attend your meeting alone unless your appointment includes a family member or more. It is important to consider these rules since most agencies are in Federal Buildings.

West Virginia does not have a passport agency; therefore, residents must go to Washington or Philadelphia for an appointment. Below are the addresses and business hours of both agencies.

Washington Passport Agency
600 19th Street, NW
First Floor, Ground Level, Washington, DC 20006

8:00 am to 3 pm
Monday through Friday

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

Philadelphia Passport Agency
US Custom House
200 Chestnut Street, Room 103, Philadelphia, PA 19106

8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

10:15 am to 3:00 pm

By Appointment Only
Closed on Federal Holidays

REAL ID Act of 2005

The REAL ID Act passed by Congress established some minimum standard security features on state-issued ID cards and driver’s licenses. These security features are checked by TSA agents at airports before boarding. If you have an ID without these security features, you will not be permitted to board your flight. So far, the law is not fully implemented yet but will be soon. To avoid getting stopped, TSA has some alternative documents on its website with the security features. Here are some from the list:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
  • Permanent resident card
  • HSPD-12 PIV card

If you possess one of these documents, you can take it with you when you are going to the airport. If not, get a passport which will be helpful in many ways. With a passport, you can travel domestic, as well as international without having any issues. So, visit your passport office and submit your application and before you know, you will have your new document in hand.


Below is a more detailed list of passport offices across West Virginia.

West Virginia Passport Offices - How to get a passport in W. Virginia Passport Locations